Philippians: Joy with Attitude
- Date: Sunday, August 26, 2018
- Speaker: Eric Van Scharrel
- Series: Philippians
- Scripture: Philippians 2:1-11
“Do nothing from selfish AMBITION or CONCEIT, but in HUMILITY count others more significant than yourselves.”
I learn to be HUMBLE from the HUMILIATION of Jesus.
Walking a mile…
Threats to the advance of the GOSPEL:
- ENVY, rivalry (1:15) and selfish ambition (1:17)
- Selfish ambition and CONCEIT (2:3)
- GRUMBLING and disputing (2:14)
- Seeking their OWN interests (2:21)
THE HEART OF OUR FAITH IS CHRIST JESUS, WHO (2:6ff)…
Insights from Philippians 2:
- God’s standard for humility does not come NATURALLY.
- Behavior that follows Christ Jesus begins in the MIND and HEART.
- Humility is a state of DOING.
- God specializes in “REPLACEMENT ”
How can I focus less on what I should not do, and focus more on what I should do?
For personal study and LIFEgroups this week,
handouts are available at the LIFEgroups kiosk in the Worship Center lobby. Messages and Resources are available at sjlchurch.org/sermons