The Early Church
- Date: Sunday, July 15, 2018
- Speaker: Eric Van Scharrel
- Series: Yesterday, Today, and Forever
- Scripture: Acts 2:42-47, Acts 4:32-37
“And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with GLAD and GENEROUS hearts, PRAISING God and having favor with all the people...” -Acts 2:46-47a
Jesus Christ is the same YESTERDAY and TODAY and FOREVER.
Utopia = the “GOOD place” or “NOT a place?”
*Key: Interpret the DESCRIPTIVE in light of the PRESCRIPTIVE!
Problems in the Early Church:
- Spiritual Immaturity
Problems in Today’s Church:
- (see above)
The ACTS model:
- Apostles’ Teaching (1 Peter 2:2, Colossians 3:16)
- Fellowship (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- Breaking of the Bread (1 Corinthians 11:23-34)
- Prayer (Ephesians 6:18)
- Evangelism/Missions (2 Timothy 4:2)
- Sacrificial Giving (2 Corinthians 9:6-7)
The changes you want to see in the CHURCH are likely the changes God wants to see in YOU!
“…and the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being SAVED.” -Acts 2:47b
For personal study and LIFEgroups this week,
handouts are available at the LIFEgroups kiosk in the Worship Center lobby. Messages and Resources are available at sjlchurch.org/sermons