The Problem of Exclusivity
Christianity offers a view of life that is consistently TRUE,
MAKES SENSE of the world, and produces measurable IMPROVEMENT in the lives of those who believe
and practice it, as well as those of society as a whole.
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am THE WAY, and THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” John 14:6
“[Peter said] ‘And there is salvation in NO ONE ELSE, for there is NO OTHER NAME under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.’” Acts 4:12
The emphasis of exclusivity: it’s not about KEEPING OUT; it’s about INVITING IN.
- The story of the great banquet (Luke 14:12-24)
- If you’re a SKEPTIC, you’re INVITED; We want you to MEET the real Jesus!
- Exclusivism is only bad news if we have a God of WRATH
If Jesus is who He says He is, His truth has AUTHORITY over my HEART, SOUL, STRENGTH and MIND.
Competing worldviews; either:
- You’re here by sheer coincidence through an infinite number of fortuitous accidents over billions of years, and though you’re actually a blight on the face of the earth and clearly insignificant in the scheme of the universe, you might as well be a good person, but otherwise just try to have a good time before you die.
- You’re here because of God, who created you uniquely and intentionally for a purpose. The universe exists for you but does not belong to you, so steward it wisely, knowing that death is not the end of the world, and what you do – more importantly, who you are – in this life has eternal significance for both yourself and others.
For personal study and LIFEgroups this week,
please use the LIFEwork available at sjlchurch.org/sermons or the LIFEgroup kiosk.