The Problem of Evil and Suffering
- Date: Sunday, February 11, 2018
- Speaker: Eric Van Scharrel
- Series: The Problem of God
- Scripture: Genesis 50:15-21
“And we know that for those who love God ALL things work together for GOOD, for those who are called according to His PURPOSE.” Romans 8:28
Is God CRUEL, or just IMPOTENT?
What shouldn’t we say when people are suffering?
Ways we try to reconcile the tension:
1. God exists, but evil and suffering don’t (NEW AGE).
2. What goes around comes around (KARMA).
3. Because evil and suffering exist, God must not (ATHEISM).
Embrace (or at least acknowledge) the tension. There may be a…
…STEEPER LEARNING CURVE, and/or
The difference is HOPE in Christ; God Himself ENTERED our suffering.
FOR PERSONAL STUDY AND LIFEGROUPS THIS WEEK,
PLEASE USE THE LIFEWORK AVAILABLE AT SJLCHURCH.ORG/SERMONS
OR THE LIFEGROUP KIOSK.
The existence of evil points us TOWARD God, not AWAY from Him.