The Problem of God's Existence
- Date: Sunday, January 21, 2018
- Speaker: Eric Van Scharrel
- Series: The Problem of God
- Scripture: Romans 2:12-16
What if it is actually more RATIONAL to believe that God EXISTS than that He does not?
“The work of the law is written on their HEARTS, while their CONSCIENCE also bears witness.” Romans 2:15
Is there room for skeptics in this church? YES / NO
Arguments for the existence of God:
- The MORAL law within;
- The starry hosts above (COSMOLOGY); and
- The GOSPEL (manifestation)
The evidence of morality:
“An action is moral only if it embodies a maxim that we could will to be a UNIVERSAL law.” –Immanuel Kant (1785)
“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and UNJUST. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line.” –C.S. Lewis (1944)
The evidence of cosmology:
- If something BEGINS to exist, it must have a CAUSE.
- NOBODY X NOTHING = EVERYTHING?
- BIOLOGY (DNA), and ASTRONOMY (1026, 1070, 10138, 1050); 122 dials to the million millionth place.
- “I think there are religious implications.” –Stephen Hawking
- The eternal ROYAL FLUSH.
For personal study and LIFEgroups this week, please use the LIFEwork available at sjlchurch.org/sermons or the LIFEgroup kiosk.