EXODUS: Living on Bread & Water
- Date: Sunday, November 6, 2016
- Speaker: Eric Van Scharrel
- Series: EXODUS
“Behold, I am about to rain bread from heaven for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in my way or not.” –Exodus 16:4
God’s people turn into such DIVAS when they are hungry or thirsty! “And the people grumbled…” (Exodus 15:24).
The people were GRUMBLING, but God was TESTING:
- Will they LISTEN/OBEY?
- Will they say THANK YOU?
- God’s purpose: “And He humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord” (Deuteronomy 8:3).
God’s exodus timeline is as long as it takes to form His people. A one-year trip ended up taking 40!
God says (testing): Satan says (temptation):
“I am with you” “God has left you”
“I know you can handle it” “Just give up (or go back)”
“Suffering → hope” “Suffering → despair”
“Come closer” “Curse God and die”
FOR NEXT SUNDAY: READ EXODUS CHAPTERS 17 & 18.
Questions for reflection/discussion this week:
- As much as we don’t like to hear it, God uses times of testing in order that we would grow. Why is this effective, and when you look back on your life, where can you see the most growth happening?
- The people of Israel were chained to the same bad habits (sins). One of our struggles in life is overcoming the same recurring sins. Take a look at the following article and discuss the wrong and right ways to deal with this struggle: The Sin You Can't Quit
- Share what’s going on in your life, and spend a few minutes in prayer for one another.