EXODUS: The Blood of the Lamb
- Date: Sunday, October 16, 2016
- Speaker: Eric Van Scharrel
- Series: EXODUS
- Scripture: Exodus 12:29-42
“At the end of 430 years, on that very day, all the hosts of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt. It was a night of watching by the Lord, to bring them out of the land of Egypt; so this same night is a night of watching kept to the Lord by all the people of Israel throughout their generations.” Exodus 12:41-42
God’s purpose behind the plagues:
1. So Pharaoh would “Let My people go.”
2. So Israel would “Serve Me” (Exodus 8:1).
People need to be REMINDED more than they need to be INSTRUCTED.
What was the truth God wanted the Israelites to never forget? What was His process for “calling to mind” this truth?
“And when your children say to you, ‘What do you mean by this service?’ you shall say, ‘It is the sacrifice of the Lord’s Passover, for he passed over the houses of the people of Israel in Egypt, when he struck the Egyptians but spared our houses.’ And the people bowed their heads and worshiped. Then the people of Israel went and did so; as the Lord had commanded Moses and Aaron, so they did.” Exodus 12:26-28
What are the truths God wants us to remember?
What is the process He has put in place to make sure this happens?
Challenge: Hear – See – Remember – Know
Questions for reflection/discussion this week:
- In sports, having the correct “fundamentals” makes all the difference. What are the fundamentals of basketball/football/baseball/golf/etc.? What are the “fundamentals” of the Christian faith?
- What is the purpose of “ritual” within a family or personal life? What is the purpose of “ritual” within your church life? (Note: ritual doesn’t have to mean “old;” everybody has them.)
- What are some concrete things you can do to keep in mind the most important truths of your faith and life?
- Share what’s going on in your life, and spend a few minutes in prayer for one another.